We are looking for a Big Data Engineer for our Central Scientific Facility "Scientific Computing" to develop a Big Data technology ecosystem
Join us at the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, in Tübingen, Germany, a leading center of research excellence in the fields of Computer Vision, Machine Learning, and Robotics. Our research seeks to understand the principles of Artificial Intelligence by analyzing, modeling and building intelligent systems.
Our Central Scientific Facility (Scientific Computing) team designs, builds, and maintains the high-performance computing and storage infrastructure for the institute. The Central Scientific Facility also collaborates with researchers to develop scalable applications that often deal with large data.
Tübingen is a vibrant medieval university town, in an area of outstanding natural beauty in the Southwest of Germany, within easy reach of the Stuttgart international airport. The Institute, alongside two other Max Planck Institutes, is located in a campus overlooking the town. A new building for the institute with state-of-the-art research facilities is nearing completion. More information on the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Tübingen is available at www.is.tuebingen.mpg.de.
You will design and build a Big Data technology ecosystem that will support the Artificial Intelligence research in the institute. Our researchers want to solve important problems in machine learning, computational photography, and computer vision using Big Data – large datasets of images, videos, and text. You will be in charge of ensuring that our researchers are equipped with best set of tools, platforms, technologies, and practices to address this challenge, from the Big Data perspective.
You will have the unique and challenging opportunity to play a major role in shaping the Big Data technology strategy of the institute. Your colleagues are like-minded people who want to deliver the best computing facilities and services to the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems.
- Understand the role of Big Data in our research and adopt appropriate technologies and frameworks, and collaborate with our researchers to help them use the technologies effectively.
- Design and build a Big Data technology ecosystem that will strongly support the research in the institute.
- Work with the IT team and the researchers to plan storage capacity, to develop data back-up strategies, and to define a data archiving process.
- Lead the efforts for acquiring, annotating, and organizing datasets for our scientific projects.
- Optionally, conduct research and development in the area of Big Data technologies for Artificial Intelligence.
- Strong background in platforms and technologies for data intensive applications, with relevant work experience of at least 4 years.
- Proficiency in NoSQL database systems and in programming frameworks such as Apache Hadoop and Apache Spark.
- Good understanding of parallel computing technologies, parallel/distributed file systems such as HDFS, Lustre and Ceph, and storage technologies such as SAN and Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM).
- Expertise in batch and real-time data flow design including that for processing streaming data.
- Experience in annotation, organization and visualization of datasets.
- Ability to build prototypes and prof of concept solutions quickly using latest Big Data technologies and platforms.
- Experience with cloud-based data management/processing platforms and technologies.
- Strong programming skills.
- Good written and spoken English. Knowledge of German is useful but not necessary.
What we offer
Salaries and contract will be based on previous experience according to TVöD guidelines (German collective wage agreement for the public service). This is a full-time position. The position is initially limited to two years with the possibility of a permanent position.
Application and deadline
The position will be open until filled. Please send your application in English as a single pdf file, quoting the reference number 93.16. via e-mail to email@example.com
If you prefer to send a hardcopy application, you may do so. Please address it to:
Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems
For administrative questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the position, please contact email@example.com.
The Max Planck Society is committed to employing more handicapped individuals and especially encourages them to apply. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.