Join us at the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, in Tübingen, Germany, a leading center of research excellence in the fields of Computer Vision, Machine Learning, and Robotics. Our research seeks to understand the principles of Artificial Intelligence by analyzing, modeling and building intelligent systems.
Tübingen is a vibrant medieval university town, in an area of outstanding natural beauty in the Southwest of Germany, within easy reach of the Stuttgart international airport. The Institute, alongside two other Max Planck Institutes, is located in a campus overlooking the town. A new building for the institute with state-of-the-art research facilities is nearing completion. More information on the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Tübingen is available at www.is.tuebingen.mpg.de.
The IT team at the MPI for Intelligent Systems (Tübingen site) is responsible for our IT infrastructure. The team supports scientists with their research projects and also assists in the maintenance of the HPC cluster and large-scale storage system.
You will design, build and maintain our large-scale storage infrastructure. Our researchers want to solve important problems in machine learning, computational photography, and computer vision using large datasets of images, videos, and text. You will be in charge of ensuring efficiency, scalability, and stability of the storage system.
Our data infrastructure will grow with you and you will be purchasing and maintaining new hardware and software as we expand. Your colleagues are like-minded people who want to deliver the best computing facilities to the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems.
- Understand the role of data in our research and keep our storage infrastructure and tool framework state-of-the-art.
- Ensure the highest possible level of availability, usability, reliability, and performance of storage resources for the researchers.
- Closely work with researchers for storage capacity planning.
- Measure, manage and report storage usage across the institute.
- Define the data backup strategy for our Petabyte-scale storage and ensure regular data backup.
- Develop documentation and processes for storage maintenance, data backup, and archiving.
- Strong background in storage for data intensive applications, with relevant work experience of at least 4 years.
- Experience in building and managing large-scale (preferably Petabyte scale) storage systems, and in dealing with extreme I/O workloads.
- Good understanding of parallel/distributed file systems (eg: Lustre/Ceph/GPFS/HDFS).
- Knowledge of SAN, clustered storage, and Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM).
- Experience with backup software and procedures.
- Strong scripting/programming skills.
- Good written and spoken English. Knowledge of German is useful but not necessary.
What we offer
Salaries and contract will be based on previous experience according to TVöD guidelines (German collective wage agreement for the public service). This is a full-time position. The position is initially limited to two years with the possibility of a permanent position.
Application and deadline
The position will be open until filled. Please send your application in English as a single pdf file, quoting the reference number 22.17. via e-mail to email@example.com
If you prefer to send a hardcopy application, you may do so. Please address it to:
Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems
For administrative questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the position, please contact email@example.com.
The Max Planck Society is committed to employing more handicapped individuals and especially encourages them to apply. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.