We are looking for talented students who are pursuing a Master of Science degree in a subject related to electro-mechanical systems to support our research as student assistants (m/f/d) (HiWi’s) or interns.
Have you noticed that computers can show beautiful images and play clear sounds, but they don't let you physically touch digital items? What if you could feel the texture of clothing or the brush strokes of a famous art piece on your smartphone?
The MPI-IS Haptic Intelligence department aims to develop new technologies for generating realistic haptic sensations on touchscreens. We are interested in investigating human touch sensation, understanding the electro-mechanical properties of the fingertip, and designing new haptic interfaces based on this knowledge.
In this research context, we are looking for talented students who are pursuing a Master of Science degree in mechatronics (Mechatronik), mechanical engineering (Maschinenbau), engineering cybernetics (Technische Kybernetik), medical engineering (Medizintechnik) or electrical engineering (Elektrotechnik) to support our research as student assistants (HiWi, Wissenschaftliche Hilfskraft) or interns. Possible tasks include:
- Programming of an experimental setup for delivering touch feedback,
- Helping create an experimental setup for understanding touch interactions,
- Assistance with preparing and conducting research studies with human subjects,
- Collecting and analyzing camera images, force sensor signals, and other sensor data.
The hourly paid student assistant position or paid internship will allow the student to gain hands-on experience with software and hardware systems, as well as be exposed to ongoing haptics research. The concrete position and tasks are subject to discussion with interested candidates. Selected candidates can start working as soon as they are hired.
The project will be carried out at the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems (MPI-IS), which is located at Heisenbergstr. 3, 70569, Stuttgart, near the technical campus of the University of Stuttgart. Further information about the Haptic Intelligent department can be found at https://hi.is.mpg.de/
Applicants should have
- high motivation
- a bachelor's degree in a related subject
- strong academic performance in relevant bachelor’s and master’s courses
- good programming skills in MATLAB
- interest in working in an international and inter-disciplinary research group
- good oral and written communication skills in English
We are also interested in candidates who have
- experience working with sensors and actuators
- experience with signal and image processing
- experience in conducting human-subject experiments
- familiarity with LabView and/or SolidWorks
How to apply
Please upload your application (at least a résumé and a cover letter) by following the link below: